Welcome to Our Practice
Connecticut Asthma and Allergy Center
Please read the following updates in advance of your appointment.
COVID-19 Return to School Information
- Well controlled mild asthmatics are not at increased risk of severe illness from COVID-19 compared with peers who do not have asthma
- We recommend all patients who can wear a mask do so to help reduce the continued spread of COVID-19.
- Wearing masks to help prevent the spread of COVID-19 will also help to prevent spread of other illnesses like influenza.
- CAAC still recommends all patients get vaccinated for influenza
- We do not have a specific recommendation for a particular type of mask for asthmatics.
- It is important to try various different types of masks to find one that fits well without gaps around the sides of the face, does not move or shift when speaking, and is comfortable to be worn for extended periods of time.
- If you have any further questions, please complete the online request for an appointment with your provider to discuss further.
CAAC response to COVID-19
CAAC is dedicated to keeping our patients and staff protected as best we can from COVID-19.
- We are asking ALL patients over 2 years of age to wear cloth face coverings when they come in. Here is a link from the CDC on how to make a face mask with or without sewing: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/prevent-getting-sick/about-face-coverings.html?deliveryName=USCDC_2067-DM36401
- We are sanitizing the waiting room chairs and surfaces at least twice per day. We are sanitizing every exam room from top to bottom between each patient visit. All equipment such as blood pressure cuffs, otoscopes, and stethoscopes will be sanitized between patients.
- We are asking that patients who are symptomatic schedule telemedicine visits. Office visits will be only for patients without symptoms.
- There is a health screen implemented by Hartford Healthcare that all patients must complete upon booking and checking in for appointments.
- We advise shot patients who are worried about COVID-19 to schedule their appointments during off-peak hours to help avoid crowded waiting rooms.
- We are asking ALL patients to not bring additional family members to appointments. Minors should be accompanied by only one adult. Siblings and other family members will not be permitted into the office unless they are also scheduled to be seen.
- We will be asking ALL patients/caretakers to wash their hands with soap and water in the exam room as part of the rooming process.
- Please bring a video capable device with Zoom downloaded in advance to your office visit in order to aid in the history taking process.
- Patients with office appointments in West Hartford, Avon, Manchester, Middletown, and Hamden will be checked in by phone and wait in their car for an exam room to open.
- Our shot patient appointments are being spread out to avoid crowding in the waiting room. Shots are by appointment only. Please arrive at your scheduled appointment time. Early or late arrivals will be asked to reschedule by phone.
Thank you all for your compliance with these rules as we navigate this difficult situation. As information continues to evolve, we will keep our website updated.
At Connecticut Asthma and Allergy Center, we pride ourselves in providing exceptional patient care for the last 54 years. Our dedicated team of providers, nurses, and staff help ensure that all of your asthma and allergy needs are met.
The practice was founded by Dr. Selcow in 1965 and officially became CAAC in 1991. Since then, we have grown today to a total of 8 providers and we have expanded to 5 office locations throughout CT to meet the needs of our patients. Together with our outstanding nurses, MAs, and administrative staff, we have built a reputation of commitment to understanding each patient’s specific concerns. Our doctors and PAs are dedicated to providing personalized care to our patients.
"Glad I came to this office. Doctor was great. Staff is friendly! Love the idea of scanning card when come in for weekly allergy shots. This lets the nurse know you are there and very helpful when busy waiting room. Office hours are accommodating as well. Very easy to make appointments!"
"My experience at CAAC was excellent. Doctor took the time to answer all of our questions and was very good with my son, who was nervous about getting so many shots! The staff was very friendly, knowledgeable and efficient. I really appreciated how well everyone interacted with my son."
"We have been coming to this office for years. The doctors are always professional, personable, and addresses any concerns that we may have. I appreciate the staff's respect for time by being prompt once we arrive for our appointments."
"Wonderful, easily located, timely and considerate care. Very thorough in determining what's occurring and finding a workable solution! My asthma is now so well managed I often forget I still have it. I love their willingness to listen to me as we find a solution on the rare occasion when I’m still struggling medically."
"I am a new patient at CAAC and found everyone from the staff to the wonderful doctor who treated me exceptional. The follow up after the appointment has been good as well. I'm happy to have found such a dedicated team for my asthma treatment. I'm especially impressed with the timeliness of the appointment and the preparedness and knowledge of the doctor."
"I was greeted in a professional manner, was spoken to with courtesy and a professional manner when being seen, and overall was made to feel very comfortable by all staff I'd seen during my appointment. I was made aware of each test, what it would entail, and why it was being done. Very impressed. The comfort and the time spent speaking to me and answering my questions."